Sunday, January 01, 2006

You guessed it... Day 2!

Day 2 – We slept into till 6:30, which feels fabulous. Our backs and biceps are a little sore, but we soon warm up and are ready for a new day. At our breakfast meeting we discuss the day’s plans. Since we are camping in the same location tonight we don’t have to move camp (WOOWOO!!) We will be helping out at the lunch stop today! We are excited to be on the route and interacting with walkers.
We are transported to the lunch stop and finishing helping the lunch crew setup. Before we know it walkers are staring to pour in. We direct people to the lunch line, help answer questions, and make sure their water bottles are full. We wander about the field “peddling” our wares… “Water! Sports drink!” we call out.
I was heading back to the entrance to continue pouring my libations when I overhear a group of walkers. Once gentleman has brought lunches back for his friends “But I forget my drink!” he exclaims. I tell him I have what he needs and hold up the beverages. He is so excited he gives me a big hug (it is amazing the response that water gets once you have walked 8 miles). Later, as I am dancing to the music while waiting for more walkers the same guy comes up to me “I know you are working” he says as he starts dancing with me, “but you need to have some fun too!”
Many hours and 20 gallons of water/sports drink later and we are on the bus back to camp. Some of the early walkers will be in soon and we have dinner duty that evening. There is no rest for the Mighty Gear & Tent Crew!
We take our hour of downtime and go sit at the camp entrance to cheer walkers back “home” after their second day of walking. We alleviate “clapping hand ache” by sporting our pink and white pom-poms. We still cheer and yell our heads off and are a bit horse by the time we head to dinner duty.
Dinner this evening is roasted chicken, wild rice, carrots, and rolls. Can I tell you how much I love and hate dinner duty? The pans of chicken are mixed dark and light pieces. We are told to just serve the next piece you come to… that flies, well about as well as the chicken we are serving. “Don’t you have a breast in there?” ~ “We have what is in the pan ma’m, there are thighs left”. “Well what about the other lines?” ~ “You are welcome to get in another line to look.” We get the dirty stare and they move on, asking for extra rice, which I am happy to oblige. We go thru basket after basket of rolls until we come to some rather cold ones… in fact they are frozen. It looks like some weren’t pulled out early enough. The dining team races to start heating up breadsticks as a replacement. It takes a while and there is no disappointment like the look on a walkers face when you tell them “No bread right now”, after they walked 20 miles.
Alex was kind enough to put a tent up in the back of the truck for us to sleep in. After a hot shower in the shower truck (the fact that shower trucks exist and they are big ole 18-wheeler trailers still amazes me) I am ready for bed. The tent helps hold the heat in and it is a much more comfortable night. Until someone up the road decides it is the perfect night for a party. I roll over at midnight to screaming and music… 1am… 2am… 3am, they are still going strong. There is the added joy of the pitter patter of rain on the roof of the truck at 3am. We are in San Diego… what do you mean it is raining? Thankfully it is spotty and has all but stopped by the time we start our early day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home